The Mercurians, a Special Interest Group of the
Society for the History of Technology (SHOT), is
offering the Pam Laird Research Grant, a grant of
US$1,000 to defray the cost of travel and housing to use a research collection.

The Mercurians began meeting in 1986 for the
purpose of generating networks between people who
share work and interests in the history of
communication technologies, defining the field
broadly. Our activities include publishing a
semi-annual newsletter, Antenna, meeting during
annual SHOT conferences, organizing paper
sessions for SHOT meetings, and pursuing contacts
between meetings via our Google Groups list. The
newsletter serves both as a clearing house for
readers and an informal forum for their ideas.

We have added this new initiative to encourage
and reward high-caliber research in the history
of communication technologies. One of the
Mercurians’ missions is to encourage scholarship
in the history of communication technologies.
There is no travel grant program (either within
or outside SHOT) that we are aware of dedicated
to supporting scholarship on the history of
communication technologies. While the history of
communication technology literature is vast and
always growing, the quality of the research
effort or resulting publication too often falls
short of scholarly expectations.

In general, the travel grant is awarded in
alternating years.  We already have awarded two
such travel grants during the 2011 SHOT annual
meeting in Cleveland.  The next grant (or grants)
will be announced during the 2013 SHOT meeting in Portland, Maine.

Eligibility
The grant is intended for and limited to junior
scholars­meaning either current graduate students
or recent postgraduates (no more than three years
beyond the terminal degree in their field).

Requirements and Application
Only travel to an appropriate archival collection
to carry out research on an aspect of the history
of communication technology, broadly defined,
will be supported. The archive can be open to the
public, private, or even closed, provided that
necessary permissions have been obtained from the archive.

Complete the application form (available at:
http://www.mercurians.org/grant-form.doc) and
e-mail it and a curriculum vitae (no longer than
3 pages) as attachments to the Mercurians c/o
[log in to unmask] Your curriculum vitae
should include pertinent publications,
fellowships, or accomplishments relevant to your
proposed research, and professional societies and affiliations.

The deadline for submitting an application for
the inaugural grant is May 1, 2013.

For further information or questions, please
contact Andrew Butrica at [log in to unmask]
or visit our website: www.mercurians.org

Andrew J. Butrica, Ph.D.
Research Historian

Voice: (301) 656-3486