Dear all

Been following this thread with interest – particularly in the light of a recent discussion about smartphones on the RFID list.

I asked Neil (of Solus) to give us his view of the future use of smartphones in the library, with particular reference to RFID. His excellent and thought-provoking presentation is available on CILIP’s website at http://www.cilip.org.uk/rfid2012/Documents/4.%20SOLUS%20RFID%20Presentation%2015.11.12.pdf

I certainly believe that libraries need to engage more with smartphones and similar devices. The Internet of Things – which uses technologies like NFC (an RFID protocol) has long since moved off the drawing board into the real world – with the help of a a few million euros worth of investment being contributed by the EU – and as Andrew points out the trend is away from browser-based access to services.

One small caveat – and the reason for mentioning the RFID list yet again (sorry) - is that many NFC-equipped devices like some android phones - can write as well as read data. Or indeed erase it altogether. So it would be wise to know if your collection is vulnerable to this possibility (and almost all of them are) before encouraging too much interaction between stock and smartphones.

Mick

Library RFID  Ltd

m. +44 (0)7786 625544   t. +44 (0) 1865 522291 e.  [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]  w. www.libraryrfid.co.uk
Join the UK list!