From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Roberts, Darren
Sent: 31 January 2013 09:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Solus App

Really depends on your point of view.

Many library catalogues are simply not user friendly on mobile devices - a member of the public won't intuitively know where to go for example.  A member of library staff will know, and probably has the library pages bookmarked.

Many library pages are very well hidden - especially on council websites, so navigating just to get to the catalogue can be a real pain.  Some councils are better than others.  But Joe Bloggs won't necessarily know, from a small screen, where to be looking.  Is it Leisure and Culture these days looking after libraries in Council X?

Most sites (not all), usually go like this:

1.	Find library pages - next step, where is the catalogue?
2.	Possibly under electronic resources, but not always - but usually something like find a book, renew or similar
3.	And now I get to a page that tells me what the catalogue is and how to use it.
4.	I now get to the catalogue

An app -  and there are many including LibraryAnywhere (from LibraryThing), Solus, BookMyne (SirsiDynix), AirPac etc - are designed to be easily read and are optimised for smaller screens.

Discoverability of collections is the key thing here so an app may help, but clear navigation on websites is also key to your collection, and showcasing collections in other ways helps too - so Facebook, Twitter, book display carousels on homepages etc.

Just my thoughts!

Best Wishes,

Darren Roberts
Bowker UK (can answer any questions about LibraryAnywhere, catalogue enrichment etc)