From: Sandra Harrison (bwh)
Sent: 30 January 2013 15:21
To: 'Sarah Bruch (Hywel Dda Health Board - )'
Subject: RE: Journal collections

Dear Sarah

This is an interesting subject.

I feel that expanding an existing scheme’s website would be the best.

As they have the capacity to place requests and obtain usage form the system.

We have a regional one http://www.wishill.nhs.uk/ which serves this purpose.

If every library paid a fee the costs of up keep would be very small for each library.

You could have it split into the 3 NHS areas and one academic area to make it easier for copyright licence issues.

We currently source approx half of our ILLs from our regional scheme which saves direct costs from commercial suppliers.

How much more we would save with a national scheme.

We use the lists healthill and lis-ill for items unavailable elsewhere.

Our use of these lists is more common now with trying to source more e-pubs and no that BL are far more frequently unable to supply items due to copyright restrictions.

Perhaps this is an issue to raise with FIL www.forumforinterlending.org.uk and perhaps have it as one of the sessions at the FIL conference this year as this would definitely come under the ‘Back to basics’ theme.

Don’t know if any FIL organisers are reading this thread – perhaps they could comment?

Regards

Sandra

Sandra Harrison, BA hons, ACLIP

Library Administrator