We're in NULJ & we're net suppliers. However, it's worth it to be able
to obtain some of the harder to source articles without paying the BL
fee. It does take extra staff time but I think about the patients and
feel that, if we can contribute to improving patient care by educating
staff, it's worth it. A net supplier always has the option of checking
which titles are in great demand and then could stop listing that title
for ILL supply. If it's a scarce title, they could consider removing
other, more widely-held titles and keep that one in the list.

Also, if there were a union catalogue of the whole UK NHS's holdings,
the odds are that someone else would also be able to supply, so the
request could be forwarded on elsewhere, which would take up very little
time.

Tricia Rey
Library Services Manager
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
East Grinstead
Tel: 01342 414266
Mailto:[log in to unmask]