UKSG Conference 2013: Sponsored Places for Students and Early Career Professionals

**  Apologies for cross-posting  **

** Please forward to any interested colleagues **

UKSG Annual Conference 2013 and Exhibition - win a free place!

Are you working as a librarian, publisher or intermediary and at an early stage in your career? Are you an information or publishing student? Then read on!

UKSG is offering three free places for students and three free places for early career professionals to attend their 2013 Annual Conference and Exhibition at Bournemouth International Centre, 8-10 April 2013.  Benefits of attending include:

*         learning about some of the newest developments in electronic publishing by attending the plenary and breakout sessions

*         seeing at first hand some of the latest commercial products and services available to information professionals

*         mixing with many of the leading publishers, librarians and intermediaries in the area of scholarly publishing

*         participating in social events, including the all-important Quiz Night and the Conference Dinner.

The successful applicants attending over the last few years have, without exception, found the experience both valuable and enjoyable.  Given the challenges that all members of the information community currently face, and the continuing rapid pace of change, the 2013 conference programme is both exciting and highly relevant to those seeking employment or advancing their careers in the near future.  To see the conference programme and other details of the event please go to http://www.uksg.org/event/conference13.

The award covers the cost of attendance at the conference, including all meals, entertainment and accommodation, and is very kindly being part sponsored by Springer Science+Business Media and SAGE.  Travel expenses will also be refunded on presentation of a report - see below for further details.

Who can apply

Those eligible to apply are:

*         Students enrolled on Library & Information and Publishing degree courses, whether currently studying full time or part time as undergraduates or postgraduates

*         Early career practitioners in any sector of the scholarly information community.

Additionally, UKSG welcomes applications from those who are newly qualified but still seeking work in the scholarly information community.

How to apply

Candidates should write a letter of application to Carolyn Alderson, UKSG Education Officer, including a summary of why you would like to attend.  Please e-mail your letter to Alison Whitehorn, UKSG Business Manager ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

Please ask your tutor or line manager to e-mail a note of endorsement supporting your submission to Alison (unemployed candidates should ask a suitably qualified person, such as their academic tutor or a placement supervisor).

In return for the sponsorship, winners are required to submit a report of the conference, which will be considered for publication in the UKSG online journal, Insights.  Travel expenses to and from the conference will be refunded on presentation of the report.

The closing date for applications is Friday 22 February 2013.

For any enquiries please contact Alison Whitehorn, UKSG Business Manager ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

With regards,

Carolyn Alderson

UKSG Education Officer

About UKSG

UKSG exists to connect the information community and encourage the exchange of ideas on scholarly communication. It is the only organisation spanning the wide range of interests and activities across the scholarly information community of librarians, publishers, intermediaries and technology vendors. With 500 institutional, corporate and government members from across the world, UKSG is well placed to offer a unique perspective on the process of scholarly communication.

Carolyn Alderson I Acting Head of Licensing I JISC Collections I UKSG Education Officer

T: 01223 700810 I M: 07585 967687 I Twitter: caldycam I Skype: carolynalderson
W: www.jisc-collections.ac.uk<http://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/>

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG