From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anne Fry
Sent: 21 January 2013 10:21
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask])
Subject: [apl-staff] Public Lecture Series: Tim Waterman

Please find details of the next lecture in our public lecture series, please circulate to contacts...

Thursday 7 February 5.30pm
Space 4/5 Culture Lab
Tim Waterman - Toposophy: The Power of the Landscape Idea

Tim Waterman lectures in landscape architecture at the Writtle School of Design in Essex. He is the author of Fundamentals of Landscape Architecture and co-author, with Ed Wall, of Basics Landscape Architecture: Urban Design. Since 2010 he has been the honorary editor for Landscape, the journal of the Landscape Institute, for which he writes the iconoclastic column 'A Word ...'. Tim's research interests are wide-ranging, rooted in the study of people's perceptions and conceptions of place and landscape in everyday life. This forms the basis for explorations of power and democracy and their shaping of public space and public life; taste, etiquette, belief and ritual; and foodways in community and civic life and landscape. Further, the complex network of processes and systems in lived landscape has led Tim to interrogate traditional modes of representation in landscape design process in search of further models. He calls the philosophical and ethical framework for his ideas 'toposophy'.

**

Two great shifts are redefining the way we think about ourselves and our relationship with landscape which will, in fact, simply redefine the way we think. These are known as the 'corporeal turn' and the 'spatial turn'.

The corporeal turn proposes that meaning is embodied. The way we make sense of the world, and the way we construct concepts is based in our bodily experience. Our minds are not pure abstractions, but rather are constructed of the physical, social, and cultural interactions we have in space and with space.

The spatial turn is a balancing of social, historical, and spatial perspectives that encompasses a critical spatial perspective called the sociospatial dialectic. It is a conversation between people and lived space that enriches our human understanding.

Waterman's 'toposophy' combines the ideas held within the corporeal and spatial turns with the idea of landscape as it is powerfully emerging. Toposophy is a conversation between people and place; an embodied wisdom of anthropological space that can shape a more fulfilling way of dwelling and more enlightened modes for design.

To register for this lecture please submit the form here:  http://forms.ncl.ac.uk/view.php?id=4016%22%20title=%22Tim%20Waterman%20%22%3ETim%20Waterman

Anne Fry
Events and Engagement Manager
School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
Newcastle University
NE1 7RU
+44(0)191 222 5648

Follow us on twitter: @NewcastleSAPL