Dear Colleagues

I hope you have all had a restful, or at least productive, Christmas break
and that the New Year holds the prospect of something better.

I'm looking forward to catching up with as many of possible at our forums
and am also hoping to arrange visits with those of you whom I haven't been
fortunate enough to have seen recently. I'm hoping that this year will see
the issue of supporting mobile users developing into more of an opportunity
than a threat, particularly in the light of increased growth in the handheld
market for devices and in the growth of awareness and interest in 3G+
technologies. Some of you may have seen the recent JANET call for project
proposals in this respect and if any of you are interested in participating
you may wish to have a look at the attached call for proposals. The Deadline
for proposals is January 11th, so there is not much time I'm afraid!

My recommendation would be to try to get in with a local University, if they
are making a bid. In my experience JANET tend to favour the HE Sector in
terms of network projects, partly because they are generally better
resourced to undertake them, and therefore joining with a University
proposal would not only strengthen their bid but enhance your prospects of
participating in the trials. One of the two bids is specifically aimed at
"community use cases for true broadband mobile technologies" so this may
well be of interest to those of you provided adult and community learning,
although this probably needs more investigation. Details are at

https://community.ja.net/groups/4g-data-telephony/document/4g-trial-call-par
ticipation

Alongside these there is also the offer from Microsoft to develop a Windows
8 App for your college, free of charge. This is set out below. The new
windows 8 phones are all likely to support 3G+  or LTE, so this is also in
line with this trending technology. For those of you who missed the '4G'
presentation at our forum in Letchworth last July, this technology will
offer speeds which are generally better than domestic broadband speeds
(typically ~15Mbs download and up to 8Mbs upload), thus making it suitable
for live video at 25 frames per second. By way of endorsement we ran a
3-hour meeting using Skype yesterday and a 3G+ MiFi device, with good
quality sound and reasonable video between Anglia Ruskin University and a
colleague in rural Essex on an ADSL line, who was unable to come into work
that day.

Please give me a call if you want to discuss any points relating to this, or
join us at the Technical Managers' Forum in Letchworth on February 6th to
share views with other Providers as well.

Kindest Regards,

Thomas

Thomas Rochford  |  e-Learning Advisor  |  Jisc RSC Eastern

Tel: 01223 564749 |  Mobile: 07500 669002  |  Skype: cambridge.serendipity

Email: [log in to unmask]  |  Web: http://www.jiscrsc.ac.uk/eastern

Cambridge Serendipity, 35 Gough Way, Cambridge, CB3 9LN

For the full range of RSC UK events, resources and blog, visit
http://www.jiscrsc.ac.uk

Hi all,

I am considering offering to create a windows 8 app for each college that is
going to buy windows 8 devices.  Please could anyone who is interested send
the information requested below to [log in to unmask]:

.        College Name:

.        Contact details:

.        Brief device project details (example number of devices,
timescales, staff or student)

.        Are you also switching to windows phones? Y/N

If I get enough interest I will definitely go ahead with this and I will
contact the colleges direct with full details.  As you can hopefully tell
this represents a major investment by us into Further Education

Regards

Mike

Mike Morris

Further Education Business Manager

Microsoft UK

Tel:             +44 (0) 118 909 5869

Mob:          +44 (0) 7581 132 708

Email :        [log in to unmask]

Twitter:     @FEMikeMorris

Blog:           www.microsoft.com/uk/education/further-education/

Microsoft Technical Support Line: 0844 567 1451

MICROSOFT SURFACE                  "Like a tablet but useful"
<http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx>
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

MICROSOFT DREAMSPARK         Free developer and designer tools
<http://youtu.be/8fMu9V3bJns> http://youtu.be/8fMu9V3bJns.

OFFICE 365                                      Free for Education
<http://www.microsoft.com/office365> www.microsoft.com/office365