Note from AJ: I cannot believe that this is happening. In order to
understand the full complexities, you need to read the complete text at:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n01/philippe-sands/in-defence-of-rights

In Defence of Rights

Philippe Sands and Helena Kennedy

We were appointed to the Commission on a Bill of Rights in March 2011 by
Nick Clegg. The circumstances were not auspicious, and we were concerned
from the outset that our composition – all white, almost all male, almost
all lawyers and London-based – would undermine our ability to speak with any
legitimacy. The Conservatives had come into government committed to tearing
up the Human Rights Act, an early product of the previous Labour government
seen by many of the new government’s Tory supporters (and some in the media)
as little more than a charter for foreign terrorists and local criminals.
The Liberal Democrats, on the other hand, strongly supported the Act and the
provisions of the European Convention on Human Rights that it introduced
into UK law. There were eight members, under the chairmanship of Leigh
Lewis, a retired senior civil servant who was hopeful that we might exceed
the miserably low expectations of most commentators and come up with
something useful.
We met in a deeply political environment. Hanging over our endeavours was an
obscure judgment of the European Court of Human Rights that had ruled the
UK’s ban on all prisoners getting the vote disproportionate and contrary to
the European Convention. This was something of a leitmotif for our
Conservative colleagues, emblematic of all that had gone wrong with the
European Court, which on their view had taken the perfectly decent text of
the European Convention (largely written by British Conservatives, we would
regularly remind them) and transformed it into a European monster that was
killing off parliamentary sovereignty and eating away at the foundations of
the British constitution. By the end of our deliberations the prime minister
had told Parliament, contrary to the advice of his own attorney general,
that he would never implement the judgment. This dismal blow against the
rule of law was something on which our commission maintained a discreet and
sad silence. By a happy contrast, just a week earlier, Theresa May had
underscored the government’s à la carte approach to human rights when she
embraced other judgments of the European Court in deciding to intervene to
stop the hacker Gary McKinnon being sent to the US, because to do so ‘would
give rise to such a high risk of him ending his life that a decision to
extradite would be incompatible with [his] human rights’.
Our deliberations were generally genial and collegial, and all the more so
after the loss of one of our Conservative members, the political scientist
Michael Pinto-Duschinsky (who managed with admirable agility to jump in
mid-air, having been pushed off the ledge by his own side). Even so, we all
knew that our views ranged so far across the political spectrum that the
chances of meaningful consensus were not high. Still, we did all try very
hard.
We were thrown off course by unexpected rocks encountered at various points
along the way. In the search for consensus, we wanted to know what the true
objectives of our Conservative friends might be. Eventually, and only after
some considerable effort, almost a cross-examination, we drew from three of
our colleagues the admission that they wanted the UK to leave the European
Convention as soon as possible – which extinguished any possibility of real
consensus. What is the point of an agreement, we wondered, that joins those
who see a Bill of Rights as a means of strengthening the connection with the
Convention, with others for whom a Bill of Rights is at bottom a means of
ditching the Convention and severing more links with Europe (with the added
benefit, from our colleagues’ perspective, of allowing rights to be taken
away from certain foreigners and criminals)?
The subject of foreigners (which we have come to understand as being broadly
defined to include anyone living far away from London) reared its head in
another unexpected way. It emerged that people in Northern Ireland, Scotland
and Wales feel considerably warmer towards the European Court in Strasbourg
than they do to the UK’s highest courts in London. Similar feelings were
also expressed in Birmingham and other parts of England. Contrary to what we
were being told by some of our colleagues as we met in the House of Lords,
it seemed that the sense of lack of ‘ownership’ of the Human Rights Act was
neither widespread nor deep.
Our first public consultation confirmed this: the responses were broadly
supportive of the status quo, with the caveat that most people wanted more
rights for more people, not fewer rights for fewer people. Concerned that
the results might be misleading, the commission ordered a second
consultation. To our amazement, satisfaction or horror (depending on
perspective), it produced virtually the same result as the first.
After 18 months of deliberation and reflection, it was clear to us that
there has been no upsurge of agitation and anger towards the Human Rights
Act, the European Convention or the European Court. To the extent that these
legal instruments touch the lives of the people in the UK, the evidence
before us suggested that the effects were largely tolerated or supported.
The intolerance and lack of support appear to come largely from UKIP and
Conservative Party stalwarts in various parts of England where the issue of
Europe remains charged. David Cameron’s position as leader seems
increasingly questioned by sections of his party who want a speedy
referendum on whether the UK should remain within the EU, and many of his
backbenchers make little distinction between the Council of Europe (and its
Convention on Human Rights) and the EU, which is entirely distinct. Knowing
that it would be economic madness to withdraw from the EU, leading Tories
such as Chris Grayling, the current secretary of state for justice, seem to
treat the Convention as little more than red meat to be offered to
backbenchers and members, without fully appreciating the risk that talk of
withdrawal presents for the system as a whole.
When appointed, we were entirely open to the possibility of the UK’s having
a Bill of Rights. But now is not the time for it. On the contrary, it would
pose considerable dangers, both in terms of the break-up of the United
Kingdom and for the European Convention that the UK has nourished and which
provides valuable safeguards around the whole of Europe. For that reason, we
considered it more useful to prepare a minority report. The reaction to the
majority opinion since the publication of the Commission’s findings makes it
clear that the UK Bill of Rights has been kicked into the long grass. This
is the text of our report:
In March 2011 the government established a Commission on a Bill of Rights,
charged with investigating ‘the creation of a UK Bill of Rights that
incorporates and builds on all our obligations under the European Convention
on Human Rights, ensures that these rights continue to be enshrined in UK
law, and protects and extends our liberties’.
We accepted appointment with an open mind about a possible new Bill of
Rights for the United Kingdom, on the basis of terms that to us were clear
and left no room for doubt on a crucial issue: any future UK Bill of Rights
must ‘incorporate’ our obligations under the European Convention, and its
rights must ‘continue to be enshrined in UK law’. Perhaps in setting the
terms, and rooting our remit within an acceptance that the UK would remain
part of the established European system, it was hoped that a high level of
agreement might be reached. That has not been possible, because three of our
number appear to us to be committed to a UK Bill of Rights as a preliminary
step to withdrawal from the whole European system.
We have been pleased to join with our colleagues on certain important
aspects of the Commission Report, in particular the recognition that now is
not the right time to embark on changes to the Human Rights Act. There is
broad agreement that future developments should await the outcome of the
Scottish referendum, after which a Constitutional Convention would be the
best place to consider these matters, within the context of a wider
constitutional review, one that allows all parts of the United Kingdom to be
involved in a suitable manner.
We are pleased also to support the Commission’s interim and final advice to
the government on reform of the European Court, which sets out a number of
areas in respect of which we believe that certain specific changes could be
made which would be helpful and desirable. There are of course court
decisions here and in the European Court with which one may reasonably
disagree. In general, however, we believe that the European Court (as well
as the Convention) has played a vital and positive role in contributing to
the promotion of human rights across Europe, even if it is far from being a
perfect institution. The challenge is to continue improving on its
functioning, as we have sought to do in our domestic courts over recent
decades.
We are unable, however, to join our colleagues on the central issue, namely
whether in principle we are in favour of a UK Bill of Rights. It is
impossible to speak of principle when the true purport is not being
addressed explicitly and would include, for some at least, a reduction of
rights. We consider that the moment is not ripe to start moving towards a UK
Bill of Rights until the parameters of such proposals are clearly set out.
We note in this regard that our colleagues in the majority have, in our
view, failed to identify or declare any shortcomings in the Human Rights
Act, or in its application by our courts. We consider that it would be
preferable to leave open the possibility of a number of options that,
without prioritisation, could be addressed by a future Constitutional
Convention. These options include maintaining the status quo, or adopting a
new and free-standing Bill of Rights, or moving to new constitutional
arrangements that would incorporate and build on the rights protected by the
Human Rights Act.
In reaching this conclusion we have been influenced by three important
factors, all closely connected: devolution; the responses to our
consultations; and the view of some of our colleagues on decoupling the
connection between the United Kingdom and the European Convention. We return
to these points below, but before doing so it is appropriate to place our
work in context.

The major part of the text is to be found on the London Review of Books
website at http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n01/philippe-sands/in-defence-of-rights
Context, Devolution, Consultations, Decoupling, The content of a UK Bill of
Rights, Our conclusion