Hi,

thanks for your advice. What sample size would you consider large enough (we got 80/100)? And could you just tell me, which F-test in model 2 is correctly testing for the group*covar interaction effect? a) or b)?

a)
groupA  groupB  covarA  covarB  F-test
contrast1       0       0       -1      0       x
contrast2       0       0       0       1       x

However, we are not too sure about the F-test in 2). Maybe it should be just:

b)
groupA  groupB  covarA  covarB  F-test
contrast1       0       0       -1      1       x

Thanks a lot,

Esther

Hi,

if the "group" column is set to all 1's, both of these models are identical.  Unless you have large sample sizes in your 2 groups, I wouldn't use the "group" column to indicated different groups.  This allows different between-subject variance estimates in your two groups, but with lower sample sizes I've found the single estimate is better than two and my guess is that the individual group variance estimates are more variable due to the smaller sample size.   Either way your inferences are valid.

Cheers,
Jeanette