From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Fowler
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is the coverage of google scholar enough to be used alone for systematic reviews?

If researchers want to go through far more articles then necessary, sure. GS does not allow for any good way to refine a search, nor does it allow for index mapping. Additionally, there is no way that Google Scholar can search closed databases like EMBASE and Scopus which index as much as 3X what is indexed by Medline. And of course, there are no gray lit resources being used here, like clinicaltrials.gov<http://clinicaltrials.gov> or CENTRAL.

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe there are some profound difficulties in getting google scholar citations into a citation management system like EndNote.

--
Susan Fowler, MLIS
Medical Librarian

Evidence at Becker:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/ebm

Systematic Reviews Guide:
http://beckerguides.wustl.edu/SystematicReviews

Becker Medical Library, Washington University in St. Louis
314-362-8092