Apologies for cross-posting

Workshop at the CAQDAS Networking Project, 6th Febrary 2013, 10.30am - 4.30pm
Managing Literature using NVivo
Tutor: Ann Lewins
Location: Department of Sociology, University of Surrey, GUILDFORD, UK
Subsidised palces available for students.
More info and to book :

Overview:
Many universities and research institutions have site licences for NVivo 10.  Nvivo 10 can be used to assist with the analysis of qualitative data. However one of the difficult challenges of long term research projects, in any discipline, is associated with keeping track of literature.  Used creatively and systematically NVivo can help you manage the processes of cross referencing and accessing the literature material that is supporting your research.

In the first part of this one day  hands-on workshop, we will see how NVivo enables the incorporation of (digital format) papers, articles, abstracts or bibliographic lists.   We will organize, read, annotate and tag/code that material in order to gain repeated access to parts of literature which are significant in various ways.  We will perform word or phrase searches to access specific content in all the literature material. We will exploit the project management capacity of NVivo to signpost pathways through analysis with linking devices and memos. If relevant to you we consider how this work can be integrated with the management of substantive qualitative data.

During the afternoon session you can apply earlier exercises to your own literature files.  Sample literature material is supplied, but you are encouraged to bring any number of files associated with your own literature, to experiment with.  Additionally we will demonstrate how parts of or  a whole ‘library’ from an online reference manager (Zotero) can be imported into Nvivo for further work (RefWorks or Endnote also possible).

Researchers from any discipline can attend. The workshop is accompanied by fully step-by-step documentation and is led by an expert user of NVivo who has been working with and training in such software packages for many years.

This event is administered by Day Courses in Social Research. Fees vary according to your institution and role. Please see information on Fees before booking to ensure you apply for a place at the correct rate.

To book a place fill in the application form

Dr C Silver
CAQDAS Networking Project
Day Courses in Social Research