We are pleased to announce the release of Volume 8, Issue 4 of the Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal (RDS). The latest issue of RDS is sponsored by subscribers and advertisers. Advertisers in this issue are The Prince Salman Award for Disability Research (nominations accepted until February 28, 2013) and Beacon Press, "A Disability History of the United States" by Kim Nielsen. Please go to our website for more information about advertisers or to subscribe to RDS. Note that we are offering a special 20% discount on RDS subscriptions when you register for the Pacific Rim Conference on Disability!

The online version can be downloaded here. Print copies will be arriving for subscribers soon. See below for a table of contents, including articles on autism policy, universal design in higher education, and applying the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Check out our RDS blogspot and our RDS podcast featuring Megan Conway's editorial, Weak and Lame: Parenting in the 21st Century. Or keep updated on our Facebook page!

Enjoy!

Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal
Volume 8, Issue 4
Copyright 2012

Table of Contents

Weak and Lame: Parenting in the 21st Century
Megan Conway, RDS Managing Editor

Research Articles

Comparative Canadian and United States Autism Policy: A Narrative Analysis
Dana Lee Baker, Washington State University, USA
Trudy Steuernagel, Kent State University, USA

Jeremy Bentham on Physical Disability: A Problem for Whom?
Michael Quinn, University College London, UK

From Ableism to Accessibility in the Universal Design University
Justin J.W. Powell, University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Employment Opportunities for College Graduates with Disabilities: A Step Forward
Maria Barile & Catherine S. Fichten, Adaptech Research Network
Alice Havel & Shirley Jorgensen, Dawson College, Canada

Towards a Statistical Model for Monitoring the Exercise of Human Rights under the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities – Canadian Case Study
Cameron Crawford, York University
Mihaela Dinca-Panaitescu, Disability Rights Promotion International
Patrick Fougeyrollas, Laval University
Marcia Rioux, York University, Canada

Book and Media Reviews

Disability History: Konstruktionen von Behinderung in der Geschichte. Eine Einführung. [“Disability History: An Introduction to Historical Constructions of Disability”]
Reviewed by Katharina Heyer, University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa

The Disabled Body in Contemporary Art
Reviewed by Cherie Luckhurst, University of Hawai‘i, Mānoa

Disability Studies Dissertation Abstracts
Jonathon Erlen, University of Pittsburgh

--
Megan A. Conway, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Center on Disability Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Managing Editor, Review of Disability Studies: An International Journal
Co-PI, EmployAble: A World Without Barriers

Phone: 808-956-6166 Fax: 808-956-7878 Email: [log in to unmask]
Office Location: University Annex 1, Room 4 (next to Wist Hall)
Mailing Address: Center on Disability Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1410 Lower Campus Road 171F, Honolulu, HI 96822-2313