Ars Vivendi E-mail Magazine No.89 (January 15, 2013)
We, Research Center for Ars Vivendi, would like to deliver you the
new year's greeting by Professor Masahiko Nishi, our director.

Happy New Year to all of our readers!

In English there is a word of vulnerable which means "exposed to
the possibility of being attacked or harmed, either physically or
emotionally". Masao Yamaguchi, a Japanese cultural anthropologist,
translated this word into Japanese of "kogeki yuhatsuteki" (i.e.,
inductive to attack). Living things that are "vulnerable" tend to
"induce attack", and become mental and physical wrecks, dying in
the end. In my book, Terminal Life: Scenery of Terminal Phase
(2011), I interpret the existence of verminlike terminal life in
Kafka's The Metamorphosis. The problem is the structure that what
is vulnerable induces attack itself. Disabled people, elderly
people, people with illness and one with differences are all living
things that must be "vulnerable" and "defend themselves against
attack". I strongly believe the mission of the Research Center for
Ars Vivendi will never end until this negative cycle is prevented.

As always, we appreciate your continuing support for our activities.

Director, Research Center for Ars Vivendi

Masahiko Nishi

*Please click below for more detailed information about our program.
http://www.arsvi.com/a/index.htm
http://www.ritsumei-arsvi.org/en/

We are eager to promote collaborative research projects with
disabled patients' advocacy groups, non-profit organizations, as
well as domestic and international researchers.

[Ars Vivendi E-mail Magazine]
For comments, subscription and cancellation of this e-mail magazine,
please e-mail [log in to unmask]
For past issues of our e-mail magazine, please take a look at
http://www.arsvi.com/a/eme.htm

General Editor : Masahiko Nishi
Chief Editor : Minoru Kataoka
Publication : Research Center for Ars Vivendi,
Ritsumeikan University
56-1 Kitamachi, Tojiin, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan 603-8577