Dear All,

We are currently in the process of working with a third party to build and manage a halls of residence.

I have a couple of questions which I hope some of you may be able to answer.  I have sent this to two forums  as these are varied questions!

1.    As this will be purpose built we want to make sure that the build will provide accessibility to all students.  As such we want to ensure that the accessible rooms can be accessed by the largest of wheelchairs.  The contractor has asked us to provide a maximum size. This is pretty hard to do as no wheelchair is the same.  Does anyone have any ideas or some guidance they can point me in the direction of that would give me a steer to best practice?

2.    I have suggested that we also include an assistance dog toileting area.  Would others agree that this is essential?  I have suggested it is, but also suggested as a compromise that the infrastructure is put in so that one can be put in if required.

3.    My last question is around managing risk.  The contractor will provide monitored CCTV but we need to look at who is responsible, out of hours,  in times of severe crisis, i.e. rape, suicide (threat or actual) and so on.  The security company are looking to the college to provide a response team, but we are interested to know how others manage this sort of risk.  Linked in with this, what arrangements do others have in place for ties where a student might pull an emergency cord out of hours?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Simon Morris - Student Support Manager & Disability Adviser

*Green Lane, Middlesbrough. TS5 7RJ
*+44 (0)1642 856123  |  7+44 (0)1642 288828
*[log in to unmask]  | "  www.ccad.ac.uk<http://www.ccad.ac.uk/>
Find us on [Description: Description: Hi Res Facebook.jpg] <http://www.facebook.com/WEARECCAD>  and  [Description: Description: Hi Res Twitter.jpg] <http://www.twitter.com/C_C_A_D>