Albert, you have to remember that the weathering of magnesium silicate to Mg++, bicarbonate- and silicic acid (very mild acid indeed) is an entirely natural process that has been going on as long as there has been water on this planet, > 3 billion years. I'm all for experimentation to determine useful stuff likes rates of reaction, volumes of bicarb / silicic acod conveyed to ocean, etc, but there can really be no need to justify the principle seeing as we could not stop this from happening even if we wanted to.

Neutralising by adding NaOH is idiotic as it messes with the equilibrium chemistry of the oceans and causes carbonate precipitation from bicarb, in the process releasing CO2. The oceanic equilibrium between dissolved CO2, carbonic acid, carbonate and bicarbonate has been extensively studied and is well understood. The effect of Mg silicate weathering is to pull the equilibrium away from CO2 and towards bicarbonate - which is what we want to draw down CO2 and reduce acidity.

Oliver.

On 22/01/2013 21:30, Veli Albert Kallio wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Sometimes the acidity is compounded by some other chemical reactions. Just something becoming neutral pH does not make it necessarily good. Finnish paper industry tried to reduce oxidation rate by neutralising acidic waters by sodium hydroxide. Water became neutral, but sodium hydoxide brought in other set of chemical reactions that nullified the benefit of neutralisation effort of acidic waters. So the CDR techique does not necessarily work out if cabonic acid amount is not reduced in water, adding alkalines may only make bad for worse.

Anything tested will require laboratory or small scale monitored schemes for years before all chemical reactions in play can be properly accounted. Therefore, olivine or anything else added in water may just pollute it even more - making it a mixture of acids and alkalines. Hence the idea of neutralising acidified lake waters by sodium hyroxide addition did not work. Nor will it work if the water is alkaline to pour in sulphuric acid or sodium acid, or anything else. Adding blue colour in red water does not make it clean water...