On the same note...

What has worked well for me is to partition the harddrive into 3
partitions. On one small partition have windows installed, on another
small partition have linux installed and leave the third, largest
partition for saving all of your files. You then have a dual boot
system, which can read all of your files no matter what operating system
you are in.

This may not be as convenient as a virtual LINUX install for switching
back and forth between operating systems, but might give you better
performance.

In the past I have tried running linux programs through Cygwin and
windows programs through wine, but in the end I found that the amount of
painful bugs that I needed to figure out just was not worth it.

David