Dmitry... everyone is of course entitled to their opinion - but as one of the brain-washed masses I feel I need to at least reply (!). Sorry Cara...

>>> I am not happy with the direction OS X is going. Too much emphasis on eye candy and not enough on underlying technology.

Fair enough, but it does seem to be the way that most of the UIs/OSes are going. Erm, Windows 8, Unity...

Also Apple are *constantly* innovating under the hood - albeit mainly hardware - Lightning connectors, Fusion hard-drives etc... so they are one of the few computer manufacturers actually innovating at all(!)

>>> ZFS (long ago), Xgrid and X11 have been ditched, which I find disturbing. I don't see Apple investing in computers given current revenue from that sector.

I sort of agree with you here - but on the other hand at least it is still a Unix variant underneath and we still have Xquartz.  X11/X window is itself becoming quite an old beast and I'm pretty sure there's ever going to be an X12. Hence the probable rise and prevalence of Qt - so you can run any OS you like...

>>> Linux in a virtual machine of your choice might be a better bang for the buck. Or, Windows in a virtual machine on a Linux box for that matter.

Or, ( controversially ) a Mac running Linux and Windows in virtual boxes !?

Tony.

Sent from my iPhone