From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Nicholas Keep
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] P212121 and P213

I have a structure which normally crystallises in P213 but one data set
the edges became slightly non-equivalent in length by a couple of
angstroms and the data process in P212121

P212121 symmetry operators appears to be a subset of P213

http://img.chem.ucl.ac.uk/sgp/large/019az1.htm
http://img.chem.ucl.ac.uk/sgp/large/198az1.htm

(Not absolutely sure the above are world viewable)

Naively I expected the two structures to roughly align.  However they
don't there appears to be some change of axes between them.
The transform of the P213 onto the P212121 structure is
0.03345 -0.9977 -0.0598
-0.9994 0.03402 -0.08653
0.01066 0.05929  -0.9982
-18.16 -57.18 21.39

This is clearly close to

0 -1 0
-1 0 0
0 0 -1
-0.25 -.75 0.25 in fractionals.

Applying either the exact transformation or the regularised one with
ether indexing of  p213 ie original and k h -l
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/reindexing.html
the rfactors are well above 50% and don't drop.

Any suggestions of what I am doing wrong or is this not going to work
(tried MR into the reindexed data and that does not align either- in
fact I have tried quite a lot things)

The reason for trying to get the two structures on the same axes is to
compare the electron densities.  The P212121 seems to have some of the
disorder loops better defined.

Using the Coot transform map by LSQ superpose is quite good BUT it would
be better if it were another map other than the refinement map that is
transformed as I then want to refine the unmoved structure into the
unmoved map guided by the moved map and that involved a lot of changes
of map selection.

Thanks
nick

--
Prof Nicholas H. Keep
Executive Dean of School of Science

email     [log in to unmask]
Telephone 020-7631-6852  (Room G54a Office)
           020-7631-6800  (Department Office)
Fax       020-7631-6803
If you want to access me in person you have to come to the
crystallography entrance and ring me or the department office from the
internal phone by the door