Hi Lisa,

Speed is definitely a big factor here.  With a protein I work with I can get large crystals in myriad conditions that only diffract to about 4-5 Ang.  What I ended up doing was taking these crystals and seeding entire screens.  I found that not only would crystals appear sooner but it revealed novel crystallization conditions.  These seeded crystals would appear within minutes as Preben described and diffracted to better than 2 Ang.  Another thought would be to try limited proteolysis to see if you can identify a more stable construct.

-John

--

John Domsic
Postdoctoral Fellow