Hello,

Does anyone have any experience working with acidic bicelles for crystallization of membrane proteins?

I am working with a small (~100 amino acid), trimeric protein that is not a membrane protein itself but is only fully folded when in the presence of an anionic membrane mimetic, such as PC:PA liposomes or SDS. I would like to try crystallization with DMPC:DHPC bicelles spiked with DMPA but cannot find a good protocol for making this type of bicelle. I have tried adapting the protocol from JOVE by Ujwal and Abramson with no success.

Also, what would be a good q value to start with, given that I do not know anything about the footprint of my protein?  From what I have read, small q ratios (~1) seem to be good for high resolution structure work, but this comes mostly from the NMR field.

Thanks!

Jessica

Jessica Silverman
Molecular Microbiology PhD Candidate