On 01/24/2013 03:19 AM, James Stroud wrote:
> It seems like the problem is that the Indigo has an IP address that is not part of the subnet that it is on, so this makes network access impossible. Is this correct?
>
> If so, you can just spoof the proper subnet in isolation. You can run dd-wrt on a compatible router and assign any subnet you want (ensuring to disconnect it from the WAN, lest a disgruntled IT guy shows up at your office). Then, just access the SGI via IP as you normally would from another machine on the isolated subnet and edit the config files to change the IP address. This doesn't require tracking down any legacy hardware.
Yes, something like that. I don't think you even need to involve a
router, just find a computer with an extra ethernet port, configure it
with an address compatible with that on the old SGI, and plug both into
a switch. SSH or telnet across and configure a new address on the SGI,
then reboot and replug.

> On Jan 23, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Dave Roberts wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> By the way, thanks for all the suggestions on the linux versions.  I went against my better judgement and just stuck with Fedora, mainly because I'm familiar with it.  I have to admit, I kind of like it. I was able to get it up and running, run nfs to mount local drives, and install all the necessary crystallography software with no hitch - quick.  It's kind of nice.  And it set up my wireless printer automatically - so all is great.
>>
>> Anyway, we have an old Indigo SGI that runs our NMR.  It's a console only system, and we access it via the network from another old SGI (toaster model - blue).  The console does not have a video card (nor space for one), so I can't plug in to it and see what's happening.
>>
>> Anyway, our network was recently updated, and in doing so it has made access to our console system unavailable.  We can't get there because the IP's that used to be needed are no more.
>>
>> So, I can get the disk out, and I have a variety of unix/linux systems that I could plug it in to.  But, alas, I have no motherboards or systems that take SCSI (that I have a sled for or a way to put it in). I need to be able to mount the drive on some sort of system, edit a few config files to fix the network, then plug it all back in.  All without messing up boot tables and such (not a big deal, just thought I'd throw that out there).
>>
>> Is there a cable that simply allows me to plug in the back of a SCSI drive then connect to an IDE port on a newer motherboard (or better yet, an external USB port)?  Just curious - that would be worth it to me.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

All Things Serve the Beam