Dear James,

I agree with Pavel that your example is not very realistic. In practice
one would start from the heavy atom positions. As well as providing
starting phases, they are useful in other ways. For example. shelxe
(and probably most other tracing programs) adds them to a 'no-go'
map so it knows where NOT to trace the main-chain.

Best wishes, George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,