Are you referring to the format that resembled "Diamond"
format (Bob Diamond, not the synchrotron) that we used at
the PDB for the first 100 or so entries.  Or are you
referring to the format that everyone now refers to as
PDB format?  I had to reprocess the first 100 entries
from the original format into "PDB format".

Diamond format was based on the output format of the
Diamond real-space refinement format and used 132
columns.

PDB format was designed by Tom Koetzle, Graheme Williams,
and Larry Andrews with input from others, including me.

On page
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/static.do?p=general_information/news_publications/newsletters/newsletter.html#pre1999
you can find the old PDB publications.
Newsletter 1 has a description of Diamond format and
Newsletter 2 has a description of PDB format in its
original version.

Any other questions?

                      Frances

****                Bernstein + Sons
*   *       Information Systems Consultants
****    5 Brewster Lane, Bellport, NY 11713-2803
*   * ***
**** *            Frances C. Bernstein
  ***     *
   *   *** 1-631-286-1339    FAX: 1-631-286-1999