Hi Lisa,

Speed is definitely a big factor here.  With a protein I work with I can
get large crystals in myriad conditions that only diffract to about 4-5
Ang.  What I ended up doing was taking these crystals and seeding entire
screens.  I found that not only would crystals appear sooner but it
revealed novel crystallization conditions.  These seeded crystals would
appear within minutes as Preben described and diffracted to better than 2
Ang.  Another thought would be to try limited proteolysis to see if you can
identify a more stable construct.

-John

--

John Domsic