Hi Angela,

Since this important debate started I've been trying to compile a list of comparative resources (incl examples of campaigning strategies on this front; + ‘Black history’ online learning resources/OERs) which I will submit to BlackPresence.

(I've been away from Australia for 10 years so I’ve sadly lost touch with the latest in this area. I used to be a member of ATSILIRN that you mention below & the article by Henrietta Fourmile was a key reason behind why I became an Archivist. I was never taught a complete or truthful picture of Australian history at school… it was not until University (in the early 90s), when I majored in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Studies streams within Politics & History, that I was soon awakened to the startling omissions in Australia’s history).

In addition to Jon Stratton’s helpful news links on the latest 'history wars', the following might also be of immediate interest (as comparative examples of ‘decolonising & democratising curriculum’):

Australia:

Protest document/letter [Statement from Indigenous educators and community members on the Inclusion of Indigenous Perspectives in the Australian Curriculum To: The Hon Julia Gillard (when she was Deputy PM at the time)  http://www.whatsworking.com.au/what-could-work/statement-on-inclusion/

Embedding Indigenous Perspectives in University Teaching and Learning: Lessons Learnt and possibilities of reforming and decolonising curriculum:  http://eprints.qut.edu.au/10350/1/10350.pdf

McLaughlin, Juliana M. & Whatman, Susan L. (2011) The potential of critical race theory in decolonising university curricula. Asia Pacific Journal of Education. (In Press) http://eprints.qut.edu.au/42346/critical race theory’s emancipatory, future and action-oriented goals for curricula (Dei, 2008) would enhance effective and sustainable embedding initiatives, and ultimately, preventing such initiatives from returning to the status quo”

Government initiatives:
There are various State Initiatives in Australia e.g. Aboriginal Perspectives Across the Curriculum (APAC) project: http://www.det.wa.edu.au/aboriginaleducation/apac/detcms/navigation/apac/ and Embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Perspectives in Schools: http://deta.qld.gov.au/indigenous/pdfs/eatsips_2011.pdf

ACARA Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures: Framework http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/CrossCurriculumPriorities/Aboriginal-and-Torres-Strait-Islander-histories-and-cultures

Canada:

Silencing Aboriginal Content in the Canadian Curriculum: How are First Nation Students denied access to a democratic Education“The modern-day Canadian curriculum continues to silence Aboriginal students by overlooking current Native issues and First Nations identity....Contemporary First Nations issues are largely absent from the curriculum, thereby reinforcing the social construction of ‘Natives’ as a historical people”. https://sites.google.com/site/ebaxresidentialschools/

International:

Decolonising Democratic Education: Trans-Disciplinary Dialogues: Ali A. Abdi & George Richardson (Eds.) https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/229-decolonizing-democratic-education.pdf

NB: The views expressed here are my own and not those of SOAS or the Bernie Grant Trust

Kind regards
Joanne