I've had no response to this!

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of msherwood
Sent: 04 January 2013 11:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Gove/curriculum

Nothing like being shoved backwards, is there? But maybe we should use this
to produce a suggested curriculum, which acknowledges that there is a world
out there; that the 'English' are a very mixed people; that Europe learned
much from the rest of the world; that 'Black' peoples have resided in
Britain for many many centuries and have 'contributed' in many ways; that
the peoples of all those 'new worlds' which Europeans conquered had their
own histories, cultures, languages, laws, religions;  etc etc.

I shall not sign that petition re Mary Seacole as it is far too narrow.

BASA, for some years, had many meetings with the Dept. of Education (once
even with the Sec. of State) regarding the curriculum. I think the changes
that were introduced resulted partly from this. Of course, the changes were
not nearly enough.

So maybe it is time for us to meet and see what way forward we can find. As
Martin notes, with the growth of academies, the national curriculum will
become less important. So it might be that we also have to think about the
examination boards.

So: we should meet and discuss. I shall be in Budapest (re a death in my
adopted family there)  Jan 9-14.  What days and times are best for you all?
Then I can approach the univ. for a room.

Marika