The lowest-tech approach I can think of would be a braille + visible
display version of a simple "engaged/vacant" slider operated by the
lock, comparable to those on public toilets. Come to think of it,
haven't I seen these in some public toilets?

Even simpler - a lock. If you try the door and it is locked, that means
it is engaged. If it opens, that means it is vacant.

Unless some of Donna's day centre users forget to use the lock, perhaps
due to learning disability or dementia. Is this why we were searching
for an automated solution rather than one operated by the user?

Melanie Rimmer