Prologue: Pieces of History » The Check is in the Mail: The Hunt for
Abraham Lincoln’s Congressional Pay Records
Having been tasked with looking through the records of the 30th Congress
for the Papers of Abraham Lincoln, I have gotten to know Congressman
Lincoln intimately. Well over a year was spent sorting through the sea of
papers generated by Congress for the years 1847–49: handwritten draft
bills, printed amended bills, engrossed bills, resolutions, joint
resolutions, simple motions, yea and nay journals, petitions, letters,
committee papers—all these and more had to be searched for traces of
Lincoln. Among the wealth of congressional materials were volumes dedicated
to recording minute expenses, such as the cost of firewood, stationary, and
glue. There were records of how much paper folders, messengers, and
cleaning women were paid, yet one vital component was missing—Lincoln’s pay
and mileage records.

http://1.usa.gov/WookpS

Source:
http://blogs.archives.gov/prologue/?p=11244&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ProloguePiecesOfHistory+(Prologue:+Pieces+of+History)
See if people are clicking on this link: http://1.usa.gov/WookpS+
Try the bitly.com sidebar to see who is talking about a page on the web:
http://bitly.com/pages/sidebar

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va