From: HEEON equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Siobhan O'Malley (7316)
Sent: 24 January 2013 1:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Workload allocation

Dear All

We at HEFCE are aware of two approaches here, one is based on Workload Allocation, often abbreviated to WAM.  The approach was pioneered by Professor Peter Barrett in a Leadership Foundation fellowship and subsequently developed with HEFCE funding see http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/lgm/lgmprojects/humanresourcemanagement/themanagementofacademicworkloadscreatingacommunityofpractice/

There is a second strand to this work which is nearing completion, specifically related to equality issues, see http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/lgm/lgmprojects/equalityanddiversity/salfordgenderoutcomes/

We will launch this work around the time of the UCEA conference on workloads http://www.ucea.ac.uk/en/seminars/index.cfm/maw

The second approach relates to the use of TRAC (Transparent Approach to Costing).  Work on this is being undertaken at UWE, see http://www.lfhe.ac.uk/en/research-resources/resources/itf-fund-outcomes/#Project_9 . Scroll to the bottom of the page as it’s project 9.

Best wishes

Siobhan

Dr Siobhan O'Malley

HE Policy Adviser, Equality & Diversity
Leadership, Governance & Management

Higher Education Funding Council for England,
Northavon House, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QD

tel 0117 931 7316 www.hefce.ac.uk