From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David James
Sent: 31 January 2013 13:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: "A Step Forward In The Transformation Of Pathology Services"

Let's be a bit controversial - and I am fully aware that I am probably in a minority

Why is anyone surprised by this move, we all read the Carter Review and it was quite clear, reconfigure with true hub and spoke models and significant savings in cost to the NHS spend on pathology can be made.

How many years ago was it that Carter produced his report, and is that not enough time to deliver?

Let's remember that the 20% saving was expected [and was hopefully to be reinvested but the Bankers put paid to that] and is being taken out of NHS budget, and is supposed to be the starting point before the CIPs

I'm sure people would agree that the standard of healthcare in Germany is not lacking, but here are some uncomfortable facts.

Average per capita cost of laboratory diagnostics in the UK is about $56 [figure quoted by PWC is actually $70, but they did not take into account blood products]

Average cost in Germany is $40............................and before everyone starts by saying it's not comparable as we do it differently, if we accept that they are not comparable, the uncomfortable question left is why does a significantly lower spend on diagnostics still deliver an excellent health service?

DJ