From: Segal, Professor Robert A.
Sent: 26/01/2013 11:25
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Can non-europeans think (link)

Jan. 26

Dear Nick,

I was going to make the same point.   And I was going to add that, contrary to the racism of those who see all "Europeans" as automatically identical in their beliefs, anyone who knows even the most rudimentary thing about Western culture is aware of divisions within it.    Hebrews versus "pagans" in ancient times.   Hebrews versus Greeks and Romans.   Christians versus Jews.   Christians versus pagans.   Christians versus one another.    Scores of divisions within Judaism and Christianity over the relationship of these religions to secular, scientific culture.

Have our experts ever read Matthew Arnold on Hebraic versus Hellenic culture?

Have they ever heard of Indo-European versus Semitic culture?

But hey, what's the point?   This self-congratulatory list is ever more a waste of time--with some happy exceptions like your posts.

Best,

Robert (proudly Western)