Who are the none Europeans in the volume? Where are the Asians, Africans, South Americans, Middle Easterners? Start there, Dr. Segal -- the blatantly obvious.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Segal, Professor Robert A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Jan. 16

Dear Nick and Dave,

When, for example, Malinowski wrote about magic, he was using native categories.   Many other academics--e.g., Tambiah--do the same.

And the debate over magic even among Western scholars has always been intense.   There is no uniform Western position.   Western scholars, who have the advantage of professional training, are not some brainwashed group indoctrinated with a single viewpoint.

Why not show some gumption and ask just what is being left out?   The burden should be on critics.

Robert Segal
From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nicholas Campion [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Defining magic

Dave,

A good thought, and I would agree. I am always careful to include the word western:

Campion, Nicholas, A History of Western Astrology, Vol 1. The Ancient World, London: Continuum, 2009, London: Continuum, 2008, Vol. 2, The Medieval and Modern Worlds, London: Continuum, 2009.
http://www.continuumbooks.com/authors/details.aspx?AuthorId=150670&BookId=133908

Campion, Nicholas, Astrology and Popular Religion in the Modern West: Prophecy, Cosmology and the New Age Movement (Abingdon: Ashgate, 2012).

http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781409435143

In another book I was painfully constrained by the absence of available published sources by authors outside a western context. I discuss such source problems throughout.

Campion, Nicholas, Astrology and Cosmology in the World’s Religions (New York: New York University Press, 2012).
http://nyupress.org/books/book-details.aspx?bookId=4779

Cheers,

Nick

Dr Nicholas Campion
Programme Director, MA Cultural Astronomy and Astrology
Senior Lecturer, School of Archaeology, History and Anthropology,
University of Wales Trinity Saint David,
Lampeter, Ceredigion, Wales, SA48 7ED, UK.
http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/en/sophia/