Wow!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Melissa Harrington <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Congratulations,

this looks great, I will certainly buy a copy.

thanks

Melissa.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernd-Christian Otto" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:56 PM
Subject: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Defining magic

Hello everyone!

I would like to announce the publication of a volume which might be of interest to some readers of this list, namely Michael Stausberg’s and my Defining Magic: A Reader. It was just recently published in the series "Critical Categories in the Study of Religion" at Equinox Publishing/Acumen. Those of you who teach courses on magic might find the genre of a reader particularly useful as it includes a range of important definitions and theories all in one place. Apart from the usual suspects, i.e. excerpts of classical authors (Tylor, Frazer, Mauss/Hubert, Durkheim, van der Leeuw, Malinowski, Evans-Pritchard, Horton, Tambiah, Leach), we also included a section covering pre-academic sources (from Plato to Blavatsky) and a section with original texts by five contemporary authors (Greenwood, Lehrich, Sørensen, Stratton, Styers). Have a look at the TOC: http://www.acumenpublishing.co.uk/display.asp?K=e2012121911335322&sf1=subj_code&st1=RS&sort=sort_date/d&ds=Reference&m=18&dc=50.

All texts are seperately introduced for student readers. There is also an introduction devoted to sorting out the definition riddle, and sectional introductions which aim at embedding the selected sources in the wider discourse of the respective time.

But now enough of advertising! Best wishes from
Bernd-Christian Otto & Michael Stausberg

--
Compcros
Comparative Cognitive Processes and Systems