Dear Christopher,

I find this fascinating, and enlightening.  I've read that this is also the
case for ancient Egypt - that "religion" did no exist as a separate
category.  Is that the case (she asks, thinking that there are those here
who are likely to know)?

(I've changed the title to reflect the question, I hope that's ok).

Thanks,
Janet

On 26 January 2013 16:16, Christopher I Lehrich <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Such distinctions can be read into sources, but at base the generalizable
> category "religion" in anything resembling the modern sense does not
> manifest in the west until the 16th century, and its formation as a
> category also entails dramatic reformulations of the much older category
> "magic". I can't speak to Islamic materials, but I would note here that
> Chinese materials, linguistically or conceptually, do not present anything
> akin to the western "religion" as category until European missionary
> activity makes it necessary to generate a term for translation; for
> example, the modern Mandarin zōngjiaò is clearly an attempt to render
> Christian missionary terminology. I am not aware of a generalizable
> "religion"-like category outside the west that did not arise in similar
> circumstances, though obviously I don't claim comprehensive knowledge.
>
> Useful here are Talal Asad, Genealogies of Religion; J.Z. Smith,
> "Religion, Religions, Religious," Tomoko Masuzawa, The Invention of World
> Religions; Guy Stroumsa, A New Science.
>
> Chris Lehrich
>
> Christopher I. Lehrich
> Assistant Professor, Boston University
> Vice President, North American Association for the Study of Religion
>
> --
Dr. Janet Goodall
Research Fellow
Institute of Education
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 8EE
Review of Best Practice in Parental Engagement:
https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/RSG/AllPublications/Page1/DFE-RR156
Warwick Page:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/wie/staff/teaching-research/janet_goodall