Dear all,

as this debate has gathered up speed fairly quickly, I, as one of the
editors, feel somewhat urged to add some thoughts. To be honest, I have
witnessed the discussion with some fascination as apparently -
presumably - no one has read a single page of the book so far (apart
from Robert Segal and Chris Lehrich - thanks for your comments!).
However, some arguments were nevertheless right and important and I
would like to address these.

Regarding the inclusion of non-Western sources, I may say two things on
behalf of the editors. First, when we conceptualized the volume we had a
much larger scope of texts in mind which in the end fell prey to various
sorts of constraints, mostly to the very limited word-count and budget
that was at our disposal (but partly also to horrendous permission fees
charged by some publishers). So, it's funny that these texts have been
mentioned: we had Ibn Khaldun's Muqaddima (ch. 6, section 27), the 52nd
(not 32nd) epistle of the brethren of purity, and even the first
chapters of the Picatrix on the radar. However, when we finally had to
curtail the volume due to the constraints mentioned, we decided to
neglect these texts and focus on Western sources only (but we also
skipped Maimonides on the Jewish side, for example) as these mostly
influenced the Western concept that was then picked up by scholars in
the 19th century. But as the Picatrix's definition of 'sihr' as the most
supreme part of philosophy (which the Picatrix took from the 52nd
epistle of the Brethren of purity almost word for word) influenced
Marsilio Ficino and through him Agrippa of Nettesheim, we still have
precisely this notion in the volume, which apparently originated in
Arabic medieval discourse. So you might be fair with us and at least
acknowledge that we worked on not only perpetuating mainstream Western
polemics, but also included some minor/deviant (i.e. more positive)
positions of the historical debate.

And second, the Arabic texts mentioned would have been historical
sources anyway, and the focus of the reader is on the modern academic
debate. Of course, that's a severe limitation, but that's how it is, and
that's what the Equinox series focusses on (I may add that we also
thought about including ALeister Crowleys definition - but then decided
to make a clear cut between pre-academic and academic sources).
Regarding the scholarly debate, however, I have difficulties in tracing
important theoretical contributions of strictly non-Western authors, if
that's really the issue here. Of course, there's tons of research on
specific texts or historical epochs performed by a vast variety of
scholars (e.g. in Classical, Medieval, Arabic, Judaic or Esotericism
studies, to name only a few). Our main criterion for inclusion, however,
was a significant contribution to the theoretical/definitional debate as
such. And, as far as I can see (but this sight may be limited due to my
own eurocentric position), this confines the field of potential
contributors significantly. But I am happy to learn here. Note that I am
working on the interception of medieval and early modern Arabic, Jewish
and Latin sources for quite a while now so that I am not completely
unfamiliar with some more specialized fields of research. But I am still
waiting for a concise scholarly reflection on the concept of magic
based, for example, on the study of Ahmad Ibn Al-Buni, which would have
contributed new thoughts to the theoretical debate as such (i.e. be
relevant not only to Arabic sources, but also to the overarching
category - if there is one). As we have not come across such a
contribution, we couldn't include it in the volume. But, as I said, we
don't know everything (even much less...) and some works may have
slipped through our minds.

Finally, eurocentrism. As for me, the concept of magic is a genuinely
eurocentric concept. There's not much to do about that and we address
the problem in detail in the volume (also by including erudite
reflections of contemporary scholars such as Chris Lehrich or Randall
Styers). Therefore, I cannot really understand the accusation here. Even
if we had included non-Western sources, would this have solved the
ethnocentrism issue? Would it have solved the riddle of the
magic-science-religion-triangle, for example? Does Ahmad Ibn al-Buni
contribute to precisely understanding the difference between 'sihr',
'din' and 'ilm'? I think not (reading him mashes things up even more -
but that's a side issue). This theoretical problem remains and will
remain. Any scholar can reflect on it with equal right, whatever culture
he is from, and eventually come up with some new ideas. From this
perspective, the volume may be interpreted as an intermediate step in an
ongoing debate (useful to some readers, we hope) and I am happy to see
future volumes that include significant upcoming contributions to the
issue of defining magic not only by Arabic, but also (e.g.) African
(Robin Horton has been living in Africa almost ever since, by the way),
Indian or Chinese scholars.

Best wishes from snowy Erfurt,
Bernd Otto

--