John 12:8 and Deuteronomy 15:11 both acknowledge there will be poor always,
and traditionally doctors did what they could for the poor with free
treatment, and the rich accepted their bills helped cover the cost of those
acts of charity. Modern politicians are a Godless lot.

Now general practitioners are castigated if they do not provide the same
level of care to Vulnerable Persons as to anyone else, but at this time of
the fiscal year the Social Services annual budget is now gone, if not
overspent. We have no option to admit if we feel the patient will
potentially deteriorate or die if left at home. The relatives that never
visit will be the first to contact the  Compensation Solicitors if the old
bastard dies because "we're traumatised at the loss of er, whotsizname?".

Our answer of course is to admit the chap, so that when you finally get him
home, or in to a home, the blame falls on your shoulders. If you want us to
stop it just persuade someone to open up the old cottage hospitals again.
We don't send them in for your medical care and we certainly think twice
about sending them in for nursing care - such as it is. We send them in
because everyone kicks our arse if we don't!

Vic Calland

In training for the World Grumpy Old Man record

--
Dr Vic Calland

Honorary Secretary
British Association for Immediate Care
www.basics.org.uk

e-Learning Co-ordinator BASICS Education Ltd
www.basics-education.co.uk

Honorary Secretary
BASICS NW
www.basicsnw.org

Director
Eventmed UK Ltd
www.eventmed.co.uk

48-49 Broadgate
Preston
Lancashire
PR1 8DU
01772 828114

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient you should not copy or use any part
of it or disclose its contents to any person. If you have received it in
error please notify the sender immediately.
This e-mail and any attachments are believed to be virus free but it is the
recipient's responsibility to ensure that they are.