Dear colleagues

Sorry to bother you again… looking for a last minute stocking filler?

Last week we reported about our new JRF study, Are ‘cultures of worklessness’ passed down the generations? That challenged some myths about ‘three generations of families that have never worked’ and long-term workless families. Today our new book – Poverty and Insecurity; life in low-pay, no-pay Britain – is published by Policy Press. It turns attention to the realities of work and welfare for many, i.e.  churning between low-paid, insecure jobs and periods on benefits.

Link to the book here: http://www.policypress.co.uk/display.asp?K=9781847429100

Article by Tracy Shildrick in today’s Guardian here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/18/farewell-myth-welfare-scrounger

Blog here: http://policypress.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/exposing-the-mythologies-of-the-workless/

Best wishes

Rob

Prof. Robert MacDonald AcSS

Professor of Sociology/ Deputy Director - Social Futures Institute

School of Social Sciences and Law

Teesside University, Middlesbrough UK TS1 3BA

email. [log in to unmask]

tel. 01642 342351 (direct)

http://www.tees.ac.uk/sections/research/social_futures/staff_profile_details.cfm?staffprofileid=U0000948

New from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 13th December 2012

Are ‘cultures of worklessness’ passed down the generations?

Shildrick, MacDonald, Furlong, Roden and Crow

http://www.jrf.org.uk/

New from the Policy Press, 19th December 2012

POVERTY AND INSECURITY: Life in low-pay, no-pay Britain

Shildrick, MacDonald, Webster, Garthwaite

http://www.policypress.co.uk/display.asp?K=9781847429100