Normalising via the MRI should be better, although this may depend on your images.  I'd suggest estimating the spatial transformations via segmentation.  One of the reasons for this is that the PET template was constructed from blood flow images, which may be slightly different from FDG.  There's also a bit more useful information in MRI that should allow more accurate alignment to be achieved.

Generally, the higher the degree of interpolation, the better the results should be.  Usually, the reasons for using lower degree interpolation just involve computational time.

Best regards,
-John