I would suggest it is a reference to Charles Parnell, the Irish nationalist leader. He came from a landed family, with several knights etc. He was leading Home Rule agitation at the time. I've never seen him referred to as 'Sir Charles' before though. I'd say it is an honorary title granted from the barracks of Lahore or Mian Mir

Andrew
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: JOHN RADCLIFFE
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 5:12 PM
  Subject: A question

  Kipling's poem "A Levee in the Plains" (DD & OV) gives an account of the Queen's Birthday Levee in Lahore on May 24th 1886, through the eyes of an Irish soldier.  It starts thus:

  Come here, ye lasses av swate Parnassis!
  Kape cool me hid while me pen recalls
  That night av tormint whan all Lahore wint
  To honour the Quane an' our great Sorr Charles.

  Can anyone suggest who Sir Charles might have been ?

  All thoughts will be gratefully received.

  Good wishes to all

  John R