From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Alastair Wilson
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:51 PM
Subject: The Song of the English (The Song of the Dead)

I am in the process of annotating this poem, and would be grateful for any insights which any member can offer, on one particular facet.
'The Song of the Dead' is a sub-set, one might say, of 'The Song of the English': and of itself is really four separate poems.  The third poem is the one which starts "When Drake went down to the Horn / And England was crowned thereby": the next couplet reads "'Twixt seas unsailed and shores unhailed / Our Lodge - our Lodge was born."
My query relates to the use of "Our Lodge": I assume that the reference is to Freemasonry (and we know that Kipling was, since his days in Lahore, what one might call an 'occasional Mason').
The craft of the mason is as old as the hills, literally, since it was in the stone from the hills that the craft was born.  But until the late middle ages at least, the tradesmen who followed the mason's craft, in forming their Guilds, or Lodges, were merely forming a trade union.  According to the invaluable Wikipedia, the first admirssion of non-practising masons to a lodge was in 1634.  And the establishment of a Grand Lodge seems to date from the beginning of the 18th century, and to have marked the beginning of modern Freemasonry.  (In writing all this, I am acutely conscious that as a non-Mason, I am wholly ignorant, and if any reader of this is a Mason, then please correct me.)
My question, then, is 'Why did Kipling introduce a mention of Freemasonry into that part of the poem which pre-dates modern freemasonry, and why does he associate it with the sea?'  If there's one part of the globe (and it's the greater part, by a long way) where the craft of masonry is unused, it's the sea.
Any comments will be most gratefully received.
Alastair Wilson
PS. Using the equally invaluable Google, it is apparent that a number of Masons have delivered papers on Kipling and Freemasonry, but isn't there a book, or perhaps it's an article in the Journal, which touches on the subject?