 From: JOHN RADCLIFFE <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, 3 December 2012, 17:12
Subject: A question

Kipling's poem "A Levee in the Plains" (DD & OV) gives an account of the Queen's Birthday Levee in Lahore on May 24th 1886, through the eyes of an Irish soldier.  It starts thus:

Come here, ye lasses
av swate Parnassis!
Kape cool me hid while me pen
recalls
That night av tormint whan all Lahore wint
To honour the Quane an' our great Sorr Charles.

Can anyone suggest who Sir Charles might have been ?

All thoughts will be gratefully received.

Good wishes to all

John R