Dear Roger,
    Thank you for your time and trouble: I'm sure you're right - I've had two other helpful replies, both saying the same thing, and both from Americans (whom one might expect to be right - after all, it's their continent!).  More seriously, Tom Pinney pointed out (which I could have, and should have, checked) that Durand, writing in 1914 with Kipling's approval, if not actual assistance, also identified the Barrens as the same tract of NW Canada.
    Yours,
    Alastair

On 14/12/2012 10:48, Roger Ayers wrote:
Dear Alastair,

I suspect that Kipling was referring to the Barren Grounds of northern Canada, first explored by Samuel Hearne, who wrote a book  called A Journey from Prince of Wales’s Fort in Hudson’s Bay to the Northern Ocean, in the Years 1769, 1770, 1771, & 1772 (Strahan & Cadell, London, 1795).  This was reprinted a number of times in the nineteenth and early twentieth century (see 1911 version at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38404/38404-0.txt )

Best on-line description at http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/54051/Barren-Grounds and follow link to Samuel Hearne in text.

As the first exploration of the area and by an Englishman who had also set up the first Hudson Bay Trading Company post in the interior, it ticks all Kipling's boxes.

Best wishes,

Roger

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Alastair Wilson
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:39 PM
Subject: The Song of the Dead

Further to my earlier question about this poem, can any member tell me, in referring to the "Dead in the West" did Kipling have a particular area (almost certainly in the eastern foot-hills of the American Rockies) in mind when he referred to "The Barrens"?  Lewis and Clark?
Alastair Wilson

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7799 (20121214) __________

http://www.eset.com