/Dear Roger/,
     Thank you for your time and trouble: I'm sure you're right - I've
had two other helpful replies, both saying the same thing, and both from
Americans (whom one might expect to be right - after all, it's their
continent!).  More seriously, Tom Pinney pointed out (which I could
have, and should have, checked) that Durand, writing in 1914 with
Kipling's approval, if not actual assistance, also identified the
Barrens as the same tract of NW Canada.
     Yours,
/Alastair/