Dear Danielle

I have a similar dilemma in that I can only look at so many
mechanisms/theories in my case study, and it is difficult to decide between
choices because the evidence to back any of them up, particularly directly
testing (in my case) gardening as an intervention for health and wellbeing,
is relatively scant. I think realistically (there it is again...) one has
to select some area to focus on in a case study because otherwise it will
be too broad to give meaningful results for a single researcher in a
limited time (and time, in your PhD, is terribly limited, as you will have
realised :-)). But narrowing too much in a realist review is dangerous
because it is a little pre-emptive and limits the understanding of the full
picture. I think that Ray Pawson posted some advice on selecting and
evaluating mechanisms to test a while back.

I am almost wishing that I had carried out my pilot study at the start
followed by the literature review, with as many measures as I could
reasonable fit in to the appointments I made with participants, and then I
would have had my own realist snapshot of what seemed (in my selected sites
and participant group) to be most influential. I do know that this Realist
methodology will make us highly adaptable and critical researchers if we
can just get to grips with it.

Kind regards and please let us know what you decide...
Di

--
from:
Di Blackmore