Hi all

I'm hoping someone could provide some advice.  I'm still deciding on how to limit my Realist Synthesis as it is only part of my PhD and will act as a precursor I might call it to my case study research.  My case study research draws upon some theories I am hoping to test which I picked up on my initial reading on the literature.  This involves a theory called Self Determination Theory.  More specifically I am looking at the role of the different forms of conservation motivation (called autonomous, heteronomous, amotivation) produced through varying incentives etc.

From my readings I believe that these forms of motivation could be classified as mechanisms as these types of motivation are a response to the 'activities' or incentives so to say of the program.

Therefore, as this theory is highly relevant in my remaining PhD work do you think it would be possible to base my Realist Synthesis around this theory?  My goal would be to know in which contexts do these mechanisms (based on varying forms of motivation produced) work or not work?  I would then limit my search to papers that demonstrate that one of these forms of motivation were produced and therefore my paper would be limited to these mechanisms.  This would save a lot of time.

Would this be limiting myself too much in that I'm not allowing further mechanisms to be discovered?  Am I wrong in assuming these can be classified as mechanisms?  Or does anyone think this might be possible and is a good way of producing a mini synthesis to support and guide my empirical research which is the main component of my PhD?

Thanks very much

Danielle Nilsson
PhD Candidate (Confirmed) | Geography, Planning and Environmental Management
Landscape Ecology and Conservation Group
The University of Queensland
Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | Fax: 07 3365 6899
Post: Level 5, Room 541, Building 35 University of Queensland Brisbane Australia 4072
CRICOS Provider Number: 000025B