Apologies for cross-posting.

CAQDAS Networking Project and Day Courses in Social Research - Transana training workshop 30-31 Januray 2013.

 Full information including fees and booking instructions can be found at

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/

For information about CAQDAS training and the CAQDAS Networking Project see

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/research/researchcentres/caqdas/trainingandevents/

Our courses are run by experts in their fields and they are popular so book early to avoid disappointment. All events are held at the University of Surrey, Guildford (UK), unless otherwise stated. Bespoke events held at other institutions can be arranged on request. Our collaboration with the SEDTC means we can offer very reasonable rates for students on many of our courses. See http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/fees/ for more info on fees.

The two-day workshop provides the opportunity to gain a thorough overview to the Transana and practice tasks using one’s own data. The focus is on gaining confidence in the early tasks of setting up projects efficiently, transcribing, exploring and coding data whilst having an eye on longer term tasks.

To book a place fill in the application form

The course will suit those who are complete beginners and those who have looked at the software and tried to use it to a limited extent.  However you should have some idea about what your approach to analyzing video data will be. The course does not teach you ‘how to do’ qualitative data analysis per se

During the two-day workshop format we spend some time familiarizing with Transana as a group using sample data. This enables the group to focus on the same tasks at the same time – to experiment with tools without it ‘mattering’. We will experiment with transcribing, creating clips, coding interesting or significant data segments and creating notes which centralize thematic work and writing. We will think about the organization of the data and the project itself, developing and visualizing connections between documents, themes, issues, and theoretical ideas. We will generate output files and reports which allow us to integrate work into other applications.

During the afternoon of the first day participants will begin a Transana database using their own project data. This enables the efficient set-up of the project in light of the experimentations earlier in the day. The rest of the training is given over to participants working individually with the support of the tutor. At times the group comes together to consider more advanced tools and discuss the implications of their use on analysis.

OBJECTIVES:  We aim to encourage the effective use of some of the many tools available in Transana, whilst staying in control of work.   Time constraints mean that we focus on those parts of the software which provide fundamental and flexible ways to manage thinking about qualitative data. Overview demonstrations provide a longer term sense of direction.

Tasks covered:

Creating and saving databases

Working with video data

Transcribing tools and options

The creation of clips and their organization into collections

Coding data using keywords

Visualizing data

Note taking

Dr Christina Silver