Drives need snail's pace notating, Andrew, I concur.

Is all art unintentional, including poetry? It may spring from some source but where it goes can be bewildering or at least surprising. The composer just hops on for the ride.

I like 'their own stringless music', suggesting lack of violins and (?) lack of (visible) connections between two points. Also the rendering of the wifely vernacular.

Is it kaftan and axle? Or are these Corowa variations?

Cheers,
Bill