Dear List Members:

After asking you, and receive such a quantity of meaningful answers, here
are some of my favorite maxims:

The first one of Francis Bacon (the same I find out, my thanks to you,
Jacques Giard, was used by Barrington Nevitt at the opening of his article
"Visible and Invisible Bias Via Media").

"Aphorisms, representing a knowledge broken, do invite men to inquire
farther; whereas Methods, carrying the show of a total, do secure men, as
if they were at farthest"

The second one, is of my dear friend and admired Klaus Krippendorff:

"Design is foremost conceptual and creative of future conditions. Dwelling
on existing facts often inhibits and is generally less important than the
ability to bring a multiplicity of people to recognize the benefits of
collaborating in the realization of new ideas".

The third one and last (for now), is from my dear mentor, José Luís Ramírez
González (I hope my translation be good, because José Luis, as an act of
resistance, adamantly reject using the english --for him are good enough,
just Swedish and Spanish):

"Design theory is a theory of knowledge reversed. While the theory of
knowledge is a theory of how it is perceived and understood the reality and
how our ideas fit with external reality, design theory is a theory of how
reality is produced and how the ideas and experience can shape an external
reality".

See: http://www.ub.edu/geocrit/sv-70.htm

What are your opinions on this? (yours, estimated Jude, on Jose Luis
Ramirez's sentence would be particularly interesting for me).

Greetings to you all from the great city of Bogotá,

And as Eduardo Corte(Cole)-Real(Porter) version would say:

"Let's do it, let's design on"

*Alfredo Gutierrez Borrero*
Associate Professor
Industrial Design Program