Martin Bean, VC of the Open University, didn't go into much detail about how the members were selected, just that they were working together out of common interest in his address he stated:

"9. So for the past few months we’ve been working with other top universities - including Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, St Andrews, Southampton and Warwick – to create Futurelearn home of the UK MOOC."

I wonder if the selection also had something to do with those institutions which were already working with US universities' MOOC (David might have a lot more insight into that than I do)

"7. 18 of the top 20 North American universities already offer MOOCs and, like OpenLearn, they’re phenomenally popular. Coursera – which delivers courses for the likes of Princeton, Brown and Caltech – has almost two million registered students, while EdX –which partners with MIT and Harvard – averages 50,000 students for each of its courses."

Best,
Frank

Dr. Frank C. Manista

Mimas